Monday, March 15, 2021

Iris on the Trail, Oil Pastel Painting

Iris Oil Pastel Painting
Iris on the Trail, © 2021 by Sheryl Karas

I have thought this many times before but I suspect this might be the last in my oil pastel plant-life series. Or at least for awhile. This piece has multiple levels of meaning. On the most mundane level it depicts an experience I had walking through a dark wooded trail after a rain. I was aware of tiny flowers and small leaves that had opened up because of the rain. And then I turned a corner and in a shaft of light was the most amazing and large wild Iris I had ever seen, growing right on the very edge of the trail. But I'm also a flower essence practitioner and I know that the Iris is used by people, especially artists, who want to inspire their creativity and artistic expression. Ever since I did this piece I've been feeling pulled to do something else next, perhaps a brand new series in a different medium. (I actually got started on that this week—I'll post those next.)

The original of this piece is 12" x 12" on cradled panel with sides painted black. I don't plan to mount this one right now. I think it might look best with a lighter treatment. Contact me if you're interested. Prints and prints on canvas, metal, acrylic or wood are available on Fine Art America.