Sunday, March 21, 2021

Grabbing the Brass Ring at the Looff Carousel in Santa Cruz

Young girls riding the Looff Carousel and attempting to grab a brass ring
Grabbing the Brass Ring at the Looff Carousel, © 2021 by Sheryl Karas

This is a series I've been wanting to return to for awhile. I used to live in Santa Cruz and have taken many photos at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk over the years with the idea of doing a series of paintings. I actually did do one I was happy with but then my art started to go in another direction. I've been doing nothing but oil pastel plant life pieces for quite some time. But now I find myself wanting to revisit the Boardwalk idea, only this time as a digital artist combining multiple images using a variety of layers in one piece.

This one features three young girls trying to catch the brass ring while riding the Looff Carousel. The idea is to grab one and then attempt to throw the ring into the clown's mouth not much further around. It takes a lot of skill, luck, and practice to actually succeed. If you do, bells ring and the clown's eyes light up.

What I wanted to capture in this piece was the dizzying excitement of carousel horse riding as sport! Also, for me, that this is a memory so it's faded and layered with multiple memories converging on one scene.

The original piece is 20" x 20." I'm thinking about presenting it behind a thick acrylic face mount. But you can also buy a print or print on canvas, metal, or wood through Fine Art America.