Friday, November 25, 2016

Wild Ride, Mixed Media Painting

Wild Ride, © 2015 Sheryl Karas

When I was a kid I used to go to Paragon Amusement Park at Nantasket Beach in Massachusetts all summer long. My cousin worked there and would get us free tickets for a few rides each. I loved it and my favorite ride was the Flying Horses. When I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, they also had a great amusement park, The Boardwalk, and my favorite ride there was the old antique Looff Carousel.

I brought my camera one day and there were these two women and a small child going on his first ride who were having such a great time. The women, in particular, were shrieking with laughter. I imagine it had been a long time since they had ridden the carousel. I thought of wild horses being set free, at least for the length of the ride, so I put them in the background of this painting at the bottom.

The original painting is currently available, 30" x 30" on cradled panel with painted sides. It is pastel and acrylic, made with a technique I innovated so the pastel does not need to be under glass. Prints on stretched canvas are available in my Etsy shop.