Monday, November 27, 2017

Sidewalk and River Rocks, Landscape in Oil Pastel and China Marker

"Sidewalk and River Rocks", © 2017 Copyright by Sheryl Karas
This is the second in a series I'm working on right now based on an assignment I gave myself to try to find something interesting in or make something interesting out of whatever I could see walking around my apartment complex. Mostly I found myself staring at the ground beneath my feet. This is the sidewalk and drought tolerant California "landscaping" done in oil pastel and China Marker. A real challenge, actually, because I'm using a brand new box of expensive professional oil pastels and I didn't realize what a difference that quality would make! It's like using a completely new medium compared to the inexpensive ones I liked as a kid. But once I got over the shock of using something so creamy and blendable I really got excited about it. These are Caran D'Ache Neopastels.

I have a few more experiments left on this piece because I want to display this without framing it behind glass and I really do not know how this is going to work with the acrylic gel medium I plan to use. I figured I better photograph it before I take the next step so the original isn't available yet (and might get ruined!). But prints and prints on canvas are available on Fine Art America.

And, oh! It did not get ruined—it looks great! Contact me if you're interested in the original. It's 12" x 12" on cradled panel mounted on 16" x 16" cradled panel painted black. It's ready to hang without framing.